Monday, August 10, 2015

Book Review: Flowers in the Field

Written by Faith Anstey, Flowers in the Field is a wonderfully methodical guide that helps the reader to enjoy wild flowers in a holistic way.

I began my journey into the delights of plants early 2012 and if I'd have had this book then, I probably wouldn't have had to spend the many hours looking for an identification to the plants in my photographs. Having said that, I do think that the hours are well spent for beginners and I wouldn't have had it any other way. So, just over a year on from beginning this journey I way given this book as a present from my parents.

It is an excellent book and I feel that, for myself at least, not having this book in the beginning has been a benefit. If this was the first book I'd read about plants, I doubt I'd have appreciated the work that has gone into creating such a wonderful guide. Faith really understand what a beginner needs and begins with discussing what a wild flower is - an important topic as we can then understand what this book will be focussing on.

The following chapters; how flowers work, where to look, name that plant, getting involved, and sources of help, build up the readers knowledge in a measured way that at no time feels overwhelming. One of my greatest concerns with moving forward with identifying plants was that of needed to get a diagnostic keyed identification guide. Faith uses a couple of keys from real guides and certain put my fears to rest. While I will definitely need to practice with whatever book I obtain, I know that I can come back to this book for guidance. It was also excellent to know that the keys came from the book that was at the top of my list!

This book is an excellent read and shows that Faith Anstey not only saw a gap in the market (beginner books about wild flowers), but also delivered to the market in that gap (beginners such as myself that need to know where they are at with their knowledge and experience - and where to go next). Excellent work.

Own or Loan:         Own
Read Again:           Yes
Recommend:         Yes
Overall out of Five:4

No comments:

Post a Comment