Thursday, August 13, 2015

Pecan Pie ~ with a twist!

 Pecan Pie In A Truffle



Excuse the Christmas Trees. Sometimes the kids get excited


Fall is fast approaching which means Pecans (and other nuts) are going to be falling soon. Fall means THANKSGIVING! Now, I know you don't want to think that far ahead, but I like "Thanksgiving" foods all the time. One of my favorites is Pecan Pie. I just love a gooey and sweet pecan pie. I can just taste it now, can't you? As a rule of tradition in our family, we try a "new" dish or desert every year. This year I have a spin on the traditional pecan pie.
 Pecan Pie Truffles!


 That is right! Little bite sized morsels of pie goodness. These are a favorite with my son. He does not care for pie crust, but loves the pies I make. I will often find the top part of the crust left discarded like the his bread crust. So, to save some time by not making crust, why not just dip that filling in chocolate and enjoy? Sounds like a win for everyone! So push up your sleeves and lets enjoy some pecan pie without heating up the kitchen.

Ingredient List:
2 dozen truffles
  • 2 ½ cups of pecans, toasted and finely chopped
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 7oz dark chocolate (can substitute for milk chocolate if you prefer) 
READY! SET! ENJOY!

  1. Stir together pecans, graham crack crumbs, brown sugar, and salt in a medium bowl until well blended. Add in maple syrup and vanilla and stir thoroughly. I like to dig my hands in to ensure it is fully mixed.
  2. In your hands, for a walnut sized ball with the mixture. Place each one on a wax covered cookie sheet and freeze for 2 hours. (I know! The agony!)
  3.  In the top of a double boiler, melt your chocolate. If you don't have a double boiler, place a stainless steel bowl over another pot of simmering water. you can use the microwave as well, but it make take longer since the chocolate will start to harden once it starts cooling. 
  4. Dip your frozen chocolate balls into the melted chocolate, then place back on your cookie sheet with wax sheet or parchment paper. 
  5. Let sit for 15 minutes or until firm. (The hardest part!) If you want your to have a special topping like ours, now is the time before they cool. Otherwise, the toppings won't stick.
  6. ENJOY! (The best part!)


While preparing my truffles, I have a few gadgets that help me out. I am fortunate to live in the South, so I have pecan trees in my yard. When it is time to gather them, I use my Nut Wizard to gather and crack them with a Duke Pecan Cracker. I chop my pecans with this handy little Nut Chopper. For the graham crackers I use a general Food Chopper. It comes in handy for anything from herbs, to vegetables, to even chocolate. For the graham crackers, I break them up and place in a bowl, then I stick the food chopper right in there and chop away. I like to also break my chocolate up to help it melt quicker. I place it on my chopping board and chop it up with the same food chopper.
All of these products can we found on our website at




1 comment:

  1. I genuinely enjoy reading your article ,great things you have always shared with us. Just keep writing this kind of post, it's really informative blog.
    More info
    Visit website
    Get more info

    ReplyDelete